Last Saturday was one of our dear friends’ birthdays. He isn’t married and is one of the pilots I absolutely adore, so I decided he had to have cupcakes for his birthday. He wasn’t going to have cake, and that’s just awful! (I’m very into celebrating everyone’s birthdays but my own) He wouldn’t tell me what kind his favorite was, so I made a peppermint cupcake with Andes mint chocolate frosting to bring to the squadron that Friday (the squadron is very much like a kindergarten class: you have to bring something to share, and they’re always happy about sugar). Apparently they were a hit because I got a text about 10 minutes after I dropped them off saying they were gone!
Recipe – Makes 12 cupcakes
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 c sugar
1 1/2 t peppermint extract
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 c milk
1/4 c peppermint candies, chopped into small pieces
1/4 c boiling water
- Pre-heat the oven to 300° and put cupcake liners into a medium-sized cupcake pan.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy (3 to 5 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and peppermint extract together.
- Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture.
- Add the salt, baking soda, and flour to the mixture, alternating with the milk, until just combined.
- Sprinkle the candies onto the top of the batter and pour the boiling water over the candies to help dissolve them (they won’t totally dissolve… this is totally fine).
- Mix the candies and water into the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.