This is my all-time, hands down, absolute FAVORITE salad. I would eat this every day for the rest of my life. Maybe I didn’t make it clear enough. If I were on death row, this would be my last meal. It’s sweet, salty, tangy, with just a very little kick. You manage to eat a ton of spinach (dark leafy greens are some of the best for you), and it’s a super flavorful dressing that isn’t cream-based (thereby making it healthier, even with a little bacon in it), but you get the creaminess to cut through the vinaigrette from the goat cheese.
Recipe – Makes 4 appetizers or 2 dinner salads
4 oz. bacon, diced
1/2 c diced yellow onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T sugar
2 T Creole mustard
1/3 c red wine vinegar
1/2 c dried cherries
4 T goat cheese
- Cook the bacon in a pan until crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, take the bacon out to drain on a paper towel, leaving a couple of tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the onion to the pan and allow to cook on medium heat until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and stir until it is no longer visible as its own ingredient.
- Pour the mustard and vinegar into the pan to deglaze it.
- Allow to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the cherries and stir until they just begin to plump up.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the bacon back in.
- Stir, and immediately pour over spinach.
- Sprinkle goat cheese over the salad and serve.