We had one of my best friends and her husband (who is also a pilot in Husband’s squadron) over for dinner last night. I’ve been on medicine to help my neck and an occipital migraine for the last few days, so I needed something really easy to make, but that would still be super tasty. I decided on baked ziti. It’s a pasta dish with cheese, sauce, pasta, and sausage that’s really easy to put together, especially since I had my homemade spaghetti sauce in my freezer! You can also make this vegetarian by leaving out the sausage. I would probably substitute it with half a pound of pasta and another half cup of marinara sauce.
Recipe – Serves 6 to 8
12 oz. penne pasta
1 lb fresh mozzarella
1 c grated parmesan cheese
3 c marinara sauce
1 lb Italian sausage (I prefer hot)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°.
- Cook your pasta according to the directions until it’s still very firm, but cooked. Drain.
- Brown your sausage in a pan until it’s mostly cooked. Drain the grease.
- Cube 1/2 lb of the mozzarella into 1/2″ pieces. With the other 1/2 lb of mozzarella cheese, slice it in very thin slices (1/2″ or thinner).
- Combine the pasta, marinara sauce, sausage, cubed mozzarella, and 3/4 c parmesan cheese in a bowl, and mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Cover the top with the sliced mozzarella and then sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese on top of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, until warmed through and lightly browned and bubbly on top.