When I was looking for a tasty (easy) something for dinner tonight, my sister suggested the chicken/broccoli/cheese braid on her Pinterest. It looked amazing! I altered the recipe significantly and ended up with a super delicious, healthier version. It’s like your grandma’s chicken casserole for the 21st century. Husband ate a ton of this one, saying he really liked it. Little does he know, it’s actually relatively good for him (instead of using a ton of mayo)! I halved this recipe for the two of us and it was just about the right amount for one dinner, but if you make the whole recipe, it would be perfect for a family of four or five.
Recipe – Serves 4 to 6
2 cans crescent rolls
1 1/2 c chicken breast, cooked and cubed
2 1/2 c broccoli, steamed
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c shredded American cheese (or a few slices, cut into small pieces)
1/2 c Greek yogurt
2 T sour cream
2 T lemon juice
1 egg yolk
- Pre-heat your oven to 375°.
- Mix the chicken breast, broccoli, cheeses, Greek yogurt, sour cream, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- On a greased cookie sheet, lay out the crescent rolls and pinch together any sections that are pre-cut as well as the two sheets of crescent rolls.
- Put the mixture in the middle of the crescent rolls so that it looks like a log.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the crescent rolls horizontally about an inch apart on either side of the chicken/broccoli/cheese log.
- “Braid” the crescent rolls by taking one from the left and pulling it across the mixture (it won’t go all the way across, and that’s okay) and then one from the right. Repeat until completely braided.
- Whisk the egg yolk in a small bowl and brush on the top of the braid.
- Sprinkle the fresh rosemary over the egg yolk wash.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown.