I have a slight obsession with asparagus. It’s easily one of my favorite vegetables, and I’d eat it with every meal if Husband would put up with it. It’s probably a good thing that he won’t, but I made it for dinner last night anyway, along with pan-fried chicken and chive cream sauce! It’s SO easy to make, but apparently a lot of the people I’ve talked to can’t figure out a way to make it not super tough and bitter, so here are my tips for delicious asparagus.
Recipe – Serves 4
1 lb asparagus
4 T balsamic vinegar
2 T olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°
- Prep the asparagus by rinsing it under cool water, patting it dry (so that the olive oil will stick to it), and snapping off the woody ends. I do this by holding the bottom of the asparagus with two fingers and with my other hand, hold the asparagus about halfway down with two fingers, and bending it until it snaps. Where it snaps is generally where you don’t want to be eating anyway, because the base is really hard and gross. Discard the bottoms.
- Lay the good pieces of asparagus in a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the asparagus is fork-tender (you still want it a little crisp). The time can vary significantly, as asparagus can come long and very slender or shorter and very wide.
- Serve warm alongside your favorite meal!