Husband and I went over to some of our friends’ house for dinner last night. She asked me to bring dessert since I’m “always posting delicious-looking things on Facebook”. I decided to do some strawberry cupcakes, using up some of our fresh strawberries that I had in the fridge before they went bad. These turned out great! They were sweet, with just the right amount of strawberries. I decided not to top them with any kind of frosting or icing because they smelled really sweet in the oven, and it turns out it was the right move. Just a little whipped cream on top, and you have an easy version of a strawberry shortcake (give or take).
Recipe – Makes 12 cupcakes
1 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/3 c milk
1 t vanilla extract
1 c sliced strawberries (can use frozen or fresh)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time until completely incorporated.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk, ending with the milk.
- Mix until just fully mixed.
- Fold in strawberries and vanilla.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way up.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool in the pan.
- Serve on their own or topped with whipped cream.