Chocolate cake is one of life’s little pleasures. It in its best form, it’s chocolatey, rich, moist, gooey, and decadent. This recipe for it bits the bill perfectly. It can be made into cupcakes or a full cake, depending on what you’re in the mood for, and makes for a very tasty dessert.
Recipe – Serves 12
2 cups plus 2 T sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixer and allow to mix at a low speed for a couple of minutes to allow the mixer to “fluff” the ingredients.
- While it’s “fluffing,” whisk the eggs with the milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry mix until just combined.
- Beat at a medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water until just combined.
- Pour cake batter into cupcake liners or a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- If baking a cake, bake for 35-45 minutes. If baking cupcakes, bake for 20-25 minutes. Either way, bake until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Let cool before topping with icing or frosting.