Husband got home early, early, early this morning from his mission, so I decided to get up and make a big breakfast for him for when he woke up. Eggs, bacon, and blueberry muffins were on the menu. We both have a thing for crumb topping on different baked goods, so when I came up with this recipe, Husband loved it. It was the perfect start to a weekend together!
Recipe – Makes 12 medium muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 c vegetable oil
1/3 c milk (approximately)
3/4 c dried blueberries (can substitute fresh, but I think it adds too much liquid)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°.
- Sift the flour into the sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Pour the vegetable oil and egg into a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the rest of the way with milk until it reaches 1 cup.
- Add to the flour/sugar/salt/baking powder mixture and stir until combined.
- Fold in the dried blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients for the crumb topping, mixing/mashing with a fork until crumbly. It won’t be completely incorporated, but that’s okay.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 of the way full.
- Top with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until just barely golden brown.
- Serve warm, with a pat of butter or plain.