Red beans and rice is one of the easiest meals ever. You throw beans, rice, some of my Cajun spice mix, and maybe some sausage in a pot with some water and leave it for half an hour. Come back, and you have supper! We made it on almost every backpacking and camping trip we went on during the years I was in Venture Crew in high school and it was always a hit.
Recipe – Serves 4
3/4 c red beans
1/2 c white rice
1 1/3 c water
4 T Cajun spice mix
1 link smoked sausage, diced (optional)
- Combine the beans, rice, spice mix, water, and smoked sausage (if desired) in a pot.
- Stir so everything is combined well.
- Bring the pot to a boil.
- Cover and lower the heat to low.
- Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- I typically like a lot of spice mix in my red beans and rice, so add the last few minutes if you want it spicier.