I LOVE the smell of Christmas. To me, Christmas is a spicy-sweet smell, like that of gingerbread or pine. Unfortunately, we found out that I’m allergic to pine so having a real tree in our house is probably not the best idea (even though I’m a hard-core real tree person). That left me to figure out a way to make the house smell like Christmastime, without my usual aid of a real tree. I found a recipe for stovetop potpourri and altered it a little. It’s super, super easy to make and seriously makes your entire house smell WONDERFUL.
1/2 c fresh cranberries
1-2 Clementine oranges, quartered
1 T whole cloves
3-4 cinnamon sticks
potful of water
- Find a small pot (I bought one at Ross for $7) that you don’t mind leaving on the stove for the Christmas season.
- Throw all the ingredients into the pot
- Fill the rest of the pot with water
- Put on the stove on the lowest temperature possible
- Make sure you never let it use up all of the water. I usually refill it anytime I turn it on, to be on the safe side.
- If you can’t bear the thought of using a Clementine for this instead of eating (I understand entirely!), using two Clementines-worth of peel will work just fine, too.
PS: I realize it’s still a week and a half before Thanksgiving, but my husband doesn’t get much Christmas in December so we decided to start early!